Mould, What's all the fuss about?

16 November 2015

Moulds are natural and generally pose no adverse health effects outside the home. However, mould indoors can be an indoor air issue. Mould produces spores that become airborne. These spores and mould fragments are introduced into the respiratory system, where they can cause allergic reactions, trigger asthma attacks, and cause other health problems.

Not all people are adversely affected by mould, however it can emit particles that may cause some people to sneeze. This is not necessarily an allergy; like a dust storm, it is a reaction to the particles in the air. Often moulds can also release a musty odour which can be disagreeable.

Toxic moulds produce mycotoxins that can pose serious health risks. Some studies claimed that exposure to high levels of mycotoxins can lead to neurological problems and in some cases death. Prolonged exposure may be particularly harmful. Research in this area has not been conclusive.

Individuals with persistent health problems that may be fungi-related are advised to see their GP for a referral to a practitioner trained in environmental medicine or related specialties and are knowledgeable about these types of exposures.

Mould in abundance:

Mould is on the increase in commercial and residential properties, this is due to the natural ageing of properties and harsher summer and winters each year which are taking their toll making properties more susceptible to mould.

What to do:

EHS provides a comprehensive range of remediation skills and strategies which includes both the identification and correction of the conditions that permit mould growth, as well as the steps to safely and effectively remove mould damaged materials.

For more information contact our expert team of Occupational Hygienists today.